Monday, April 9th, 2012
SMITH Magazine celebrated the release of Oy! Only Six? Why Not More?— Six-Word Memoirs on Jewish Life with a live show at the Sixth & I Historic Synagogue in DC. Each storyteller had six minutes to reveal the backstory behind his or her Six-Word Memoir, and the evening ended with a Six-Word Story Slam from the audience. Thanks to everyone at Sixth & I, all the performers, the audience, and my co-host, Cathy Alter, all of whom made this the best Story Show to date.
Here’s the line-up with the time each storyteller appears on the video below, also found on Vimeo.
1. Annie Groer: “My father was my Jewish mother.” (minute 4:30)
2. Adam Ruben: “But the Evangelical ski trip’s cheaper.” (13:20)
3. Carolyn Hax & Larry Smith: “Everything with us a question. Why?” New answers to old questions from with the Bintel Brief advice column, with stories retold by artist Liana Fincke. (22:20)
4. Russ Roberts: “My career as mohel. Cut short.” (31:40)
5. Jane Shore: “Shit soup: my mother’s favorite recipe.” (42:02)
6. Lynn Harris: “Engaged in Jerusalem. Thank you, God.” (53:50)
7. Rachel Sklar & Patty Reese: “Summer camp: good for the Jews.” (1:02)
8. Audience Six-Word Story Slam (1:12)