Monday, May 21st, 2012
SMITH Magazine, home of the Six-Word Memoir project, is delighted to announce a new book of Six-Word Memoirs with a great new twist: all the memoirs will be illustrated by students. By students we mean grade school to grad school, art classes of all ages or the work of MFA candidates, and both the word and the image should be by the same author. We’ll be taking submissions from June 1 though November 5 and choosing a selection of the illustrated memoirs for inclusion in our forthcoming eBook, Things Don’t Have to be Complicated: The Art of Six-Word Memoirs by Students of the World.
Published by TED Books, a division of the TED Conference, this book will be the eighth in the Six-Word Memoir series—and our very first entirely by students.
• All illustrated Six-Word Memoirs must be the original work of the artist.
• The Six-Word Memoir should be contained within the work (in any way the artist sees fit) not as a caption alongside the works.
• Digital illustrations or paintings are fine, as are photographs of a multimedia project (painting or collage or otherwise).
• Multiple submissions allowed.
• No photographs (unless there are one element of a larger collage or other work).
• Images should be submitted in one of two sizes:
- 1536×2048 (portrait)
- 2048×1536 (landscape)
• Send your submission to news AT smithmag DOT net by Nov. 5, 2012 with the subject line “Six Art Book.” Please label your file with first_last.jpg (e.g. Billy_Smith.jog) and include you age and school in your email. We’ll let you know by Dec. 15 if you’ve been selected for inclusion in the book.
• If your submission is chosen, we’ll ask you for a 100-word or less description of yourself and/or your story, along with one personal web link (blog, Tumblr, etc.).
Copyright of the work will be shared by the Artist and SMITH and TED Books. SMITH and TED have the right to distribute the work in any media; the Artist also has the right to reproduce the work elsewhere.
Please circulate widely to students, teachers, after-school programs and anyone and anywhere else you think would be interested in this project.
Founded in January 2006 with the tagline, “Everyone has a story. What’s yours?” SMITH Magazine has become a leader in personal storytelling. SMITH is home of the Six-Word Memoir® project, now a bestselling book series, calendar, board game, live event series and global phenomenon. For more information, visit www.smithmag.net.
ABOUT TED BOOKS
TED Books is a new division of the internationally known TED Conference, and features short nonfiction works designed for multimedia digital distribution through the TED Books app for the iPad, Kindle, and Nook. The books are focused around TED’s core mission of spreading great ideas of technology, education and design. For more information, visit TED.com.