Live Show, July 25: “I’m Only Popular at Summer Camp: Six-Word Memoirs on Camp, Summer Stock, and the Family Vacation.”
Thursday, July 21st, 2011
“Summer camp: alone, with Sedaris anecdotes.”
“Teacher by school-year. Freak by summer.”
“Mentally washed up on the beach.”
“Take me back to swings, fireflies.”
“Satan called. Wants his heat back.”
SMITH Magazine presents: “I’m Only Popular at Summer Camp: Six-Word Memoirs on Camp, Summer Stock, and the Family Vacation.”
Get advance tickets here (and save money):
• Ann Leary, author of Outtakes From a Marriage and An Innocent, A Broad. She is co-host of the new NPR show Hash Hags.
• Susan Blackwell, co-starred in [Title of Show] and co-wrote/performed in the recent lab production of “Now. Here. This.” She hosts of Broadway.com’s “Side by Side by Susan Blackwell.”
• Joe Iconis, writer/performer/co-author? of Things to Ruin, “Bloodsong of Love: The Rock ‘n’ Roll Spaghetti Western, and The Joe Iconis Rock and Roll Jamboree.
• Deborah Copaken Kogan, author of Shutterbabe, Between Here and April, Hell Is Other Parents” and the forthcoming novel, The Red Book.
• Josh Wolk, Entertainment Editor of NYMag.com, and author of the memoir, Cabin Pressure: One Man’s Desperate Attempt to Recapture His Youth as a Camp Counselor.
• Gerald Hayes, stand-up comedian who has appeared at The Apollo and a regular at The Moth.
• Ed Boland, is a nonprofit communications and fundraising professional. He’s currently writing on a memoir, Special Ed, about his hellish experience teaching in a tough urban high school.
• Introducing teen six-word scribe, Ava Crawford, making her first appearance on stage.
The night starts at 6 p.m. with $6 drink specials during a Happy Hour at 92YTribeca’s amazing bar, where you can meet other six-lovers. At 7 p.m., the show begins: six writers, two musicians—six minutes each to tell their story. The evening ends with an audience participation Six-World Slam: you’re invited to share your own six words on this hot, fun, miraculous and messy thing called summer.
photo: from Camp Camp: Where Fantasy Island Meets Lord of the Flies by Roger Bennett & Jules Shell. It’s a great book.