Memoirville

EXCERPT: Eat, Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Wednesday, June 21st, 2006

By Tim Barkow

LizG-BN.JPG [This review includes two excerpts from Eat, Pray, Love, courtesy of Ms. Gilbert. See the author on tour across America over the next few months.]

I liked Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert so much that I recently had no choice but to give away my advance copy before I had actually finished it.

I was sitting in the formal dining room of a Scottish castle with seven other men and three delightfully batty British women of a certain age. Wine flowed, haggis was served, and the conversation among a roomful of people who barely knew each other roared on with each course.

At one point, Penny, seated to my left, told me a tough time she had gone through after her husband died at an age too young. At first, she went down hard. “But I soon realized I had two choices,” she told me. “I could either sink or swim.” From my perch, Penny took the gold in the Olympic freestyle, and plans to “age disgracefully” (British for: have a ball). The next day was her birthday and though I had 35 pages left of the book that had been blowing me away bead by bead (as the author calls each chapter), I had to give my new friend Penny my copy of Eat, Pray, Love.

Like Penny, when Elizabeth Gilbert’s marriage fell to pieces, her life took a nosedive. Personally smacked down by life like a bowling pin heading toward the gutter (fans of The Big Lebowski, that last one-metaphor-too-many was for you), she bailed from an A+ professional life and hit the road. She spent four months in Rome eating, four months in India praying, and … well, you see where this is going.

Admittedly, I’m a pushover for any story that starts in Italy and involves gelato before breakfast. Ever since the summer I lived in Florence at the ripe old age of 19, selling gloves and purses and what we billed as “snake-skinned” key chains to tourists (my Florentine accent was so bad my boss told everyone I was from Sicily), I’ve been a sucker for all things Italian. And I love yoga (despite a hand-eye coordination problem obvious to all who know me). Also, I’ve always wanted to meet a medicine man (preferably a Balinese one, of course). And it’s hard to argue with finding love.

On a personal level, I adore Liz, even though I more or less know her through her non-fiction stories and our years of email exchanges in which she turned down my numerous offers to pay her lots of money to write articles for whatever magazine I was working at at the time.

Above all, she has ability to put words down on paper with a language, sensibility, point of view — “vibe” is what it really all adds up to — that resonates deeply with me. I laughed my ass off regularly as I inhaled Eat, Pray, Love, but there were times when it all got so intense that I did something I don’t remember ever doing in my more than three decades of moving my eyes across the page: I had to stop reading. Could be that my own life is just so rattled right now (starting a magazine, planning a wedding, making a living) that I couldn’t handle watching Liz’s rattle by. Could be. Mainly, I think this book just blows a man away.

That’s right, “a man.” The subtitle is “One woman’s search for everything across Italy, India and Indonesia.” Part of me is thrilled that this book has an Oprah-esque, smart self-help scent (translation: monster hit). Part of me is bummed that a lot of guys won’t pick up a book with the word “woman” on its cover.

So who is this book for? Italiophiles, yogis, meditators, medicine-man lovers, spiritual seekers, storytellers, travel junkies, anyone who has ever had a bad breakup, bad year, or bad day. Also, for those in this world that have always wanted to read a couple pages on the perfect pizza (found in Naples; page 79 in case you’re wandering a bookstore with a hankering for pizza), that — to borrow a phrase from the author, — is so well written that you “want to applaud.”

Click here for the Elizabeth Gilbert world tour dates and info.

Keep reading for two excerpts from Eat, Pray, Love, courtesy of Ms. Gilbert. First, we find our heroine at a soccer game in Rome. In the second excerpt, the author arrives in Bali, without really understanding what “arriving in Bali” actually entails.

Ci Vediamo, Alligator!

Pages: 1 2 3

1. Mrs Palm Reader says:

Sounds quite similar to my travels to South Africa, although I did at least have some family there.
    I managed to stay on as I met my husband there… hope the balinese men are good looking!
    Hey, if you ever need another palm reader just let me know, he he!

2. K R Binoche says:

This is the sort of crap americans love! Vacuous waffle! So boring and mediocre! So american! Best Seller in america is great help to Europeans - we know immediately not to buy! Thank you!

3. yuki says:

Great books, I saw at Oprah show!

4. Juvesty Ronaldo says:

Wow….fantastic…!!
    If i knew you r here (indonesia)..
    I catch You…

So bali is the best place 4 making ur life better…!!
    Right…!!

5. SP-F says:

To K R Binoche

Oh how painfully right you are.

6. rosangela ferreira leite santos says:

olá liz… sou BRASILEIRA e. fiquei comovida com a leitura do teu livro… amei todo o enredo… você verdadeiramente conseguio encontrar a forma da construção interior de um EU forte e fantástico… além do mais ADOREI a sua história-love com FELIPE…. desejo que continue com o mesmo… ele é bom, maravilhoso e verdadeiramente te ama…. estou ansiosa para receber notícias suas resido no interior do Nordeste do BRASIL e só agora tive oportunidade de ler este livro fantástico…. claro ,já se passaram quase 04 anos …. como estás hoje? beijos Rosangela Ferreira( Psicóloga do Ministério Público da Paraíba)-Brasil

7. rosangela ferreira leite santos says:

olá liz.. quero respostas tuas….. Rosangela Ferreira (Brazil)

8. site official says:

Just want to say your article is as astonishing. The clearness in your post is simply cool and i can assume you are an expert on this subject. Well with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the gratifying work.

9. the home decor store says:

Thanks , I have just been searching for information approximately this topic for a long time and yours is the greatest I have came upon so far. However, what about the bottom line? Are you certain in regards to the source?

10. Thanh says:

It may be Maria here. I actually need state that the topic of the article is very appealing. I’m quite love it! Fantastic job!

11. contemporary furniture says:

You made some decent points there. I did a search on the subject and found most people will approve with your site.

12. mobile home designs says:

I do believe all of the concepts you’ve presented on your post. They are really convincing and can definitely work. Nonetheless, the posts are too quick for beginners. May just you please extend them a little from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.

13. real estate attorney says:

I have been reading out many of your stories and i can state nice stuff. I will make sure to bookmark your website.

14. spek plat kapal bki says:

this really answered my problem keep working splendid job fantastic blog article impressing post

15. latest mobile technology says:

Wow! Thank you! I continuously needed to write on my site something like that. Can I take a fragment of your post to my website?

16. home furnishings says:

Thank you for your entire efforts on this web site. Gloria takes pleasure in getting into research and it is easy to understand why. Almost all know all relating to the compelling way you present both interesting and useful solutions via your web blog and invigorate contribution from website visitors about this matter and our favorite simple princess is certainly studying a lot. Enjoy the remaining portion of the year. You’re carrying out a fantastic job.

17. www.loftmasters.co.uk says:

Thank you for another magnificent article. Where else may just anyone get that type of information in such an ideal approach of writing? I’ve a presentation next week, and I’m on the search for such information.

18. Moses Mckerley says:

Absolutely pent content, Really enjoyed studying.

19. Chauncey Abare says:

you are in reality a just right webmaster. The web site loading velocity is incredible. It sort of feels that you are doing any unique trick. Also, The contents are masterwork. you’ve done a great process on this matter!

20. Damon Engelhart says: